I played for Jimmy Mc Wallace in high school (basketball). He might have been the toughest coach I have ever known. If we lost (6 times in three years), we practiced quite often for 6 hours. Once, we practiced for three, he said he didn't like it and we started over and did it again, and the started again at around 9:00 pm that night. We got out at 11 if I remember correctly.

My father was in the school parking lot furious. I told him that if anyone saw him I would move out of the house. Everyone was treated equally, and we all became winners.

I learned some major life lessons from Coach Wallace, but the most important was that if you do anything in life, be a winner. It served me well.

I don't use these tactics today with our "modern" kids, but laugh about how great things used to be when you could actually condition young people to do the right thing and to be tough. It didn't kill me.

Sweet: When my daughter went for her visit to WCU with Tammy D, she was told that the important thing wasn't her 100 time but if she could do it thirty times. She almost threw up; I laughed my rear end off. Coach Wallace would have loved it. Sounds like your daughter is in a similar situation. I would probably like your daughter too if she is that tough.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset