Well stated. Do you want to head up our version of the TRAC committee? We can call it SCAT- Soccer Community's Alignment of Taxation. No offense to you intended, I just liked the acronym and its other meaning. Since you will be in charge, you can rename it!

Unfortunately, in SC (like many other places) there are the haves and the have nots with respect to school funding. Historically, most of our districts (and the really the counties in which they reside) were based on the agrarian model and then the mills. As our way of life "evolved", the economics changed. While some counties have shifted to tourism or other fields, many of our counties are still considered agrarian or they are bedroom communities of larger cities. These latter two lack the tax base as it is currently structured to adequately fund schools on a local level. So the Yorks will have to be responsible citizens of SC and help others. The question then begs at what level? I know Beaufort and Greenville constantly bemoan the fact because they too have a great tax base.

I am not sure of how much local control we need to give everyone. I think of the mess with the politics in Fairfield right now or the previous embezzlement and colluding in other counties as barriers to providing total local control. There are some services/programs which local districts would immediately cut. Of course we know our Lt. Governor's favorite program would be one of the first to go if he were in charge locally. There just needs to be some checks to balance the local powers at times.

So, the SCAT committee is in charge of offering some solutions or at least ideas!