Quote:

Absolutely, the central concern that we should all agree on is about equity, level playing fields. ANY schools benefiting from inequities (such as attendance zone inequities) should be placed into the larger or largest classifications since the point of classifications is to have schools competing against each other with approximately the same opportunities to field teams from similar populations.

But we should also be more open and honest about the success that some teams have had historically. Some teams have succeeded from BOTH quality programs within a system that affords them inequitable advantages—again by no fault of the school but by the failures of the system to insure equity.

Ultimately, these inequities make a mockery of the classification system and allow only the appearance of fairness.

Again, why do we have classifications? To level the playing field.

I think it also perfectly fair to ask that those schools benefiting from advantages speak up for equity along with those schools who feel disadvantaged. It would be an act of honor suitable for educators to model for those children we claim to be teaching.

When the leauge decided to allow teams who who 4A size to play 3A and allowed teams who were no longer 4A size stay up they created an unfair advantage for those larger schools. There may have been reasons for the decision but that does not remove the fact that an unfair advantage was created. From my point of view it was clearly a mistake as the schools left in 3A have dominated that level of play.

Without blaming/naming the teams and those associated with them I think it is clear that the choice to allow this took away from those schools who were 3A sized a fair shot at greater sucess and obviously a school that actually was 3A sized would have won a title instead of teams who were not. I know not all 3A titles in all sports were won by the larger schools but even one is a denial to schools who were at this disadvantage.

The schools left in 4A, at their own request as I understand it, also suffered becasue the athletes (across all sports) were not given the chance to succeed against other schools with who they were on a level field, at least as the current classifaction system goes. The students were done a disservice by the ????(not sure to blamce admin or school board here) and the leauge.

Thank you cat your post dovetails with what I was trying to say but manages to do it with out being as inflamatory as mine tend to be but still makes the point that "UNFAIR is UNFAIR".

Last edited by The Chief; 05/21/10 05:54 AM.