Congratulations Northwestern on your third consecutive State Championship in a rivalry dating back to 2003 when I first started shooting video.

Both programs have elevated the level of high school soccer to a point of filling up stadiums that were once empty compared to the crowds we see today.

On the issue of the game, for all of the criticism given Alex Martinez, I credit him with a tremendous defensive effort and the ability to play to the strengths of his team. His ability to hit Ricky and Dennis with passes when he got the ball against the run of play is what ultimately broke IRMO down. Defenders have to be right all of the time and Strikers have to be right part of the time. Ricky Garbanzo is one of those players who will convert 50% of the time.

IRMO showed much more poise in terms of style of play and possession, but it was the shear power of those three individuals that carried the offensive ability for NW last night.

The comeback IRMO mounted when everyone thought the wheels had come off when it was 3-0 after going into the half at 0-0 showed great team character. Every player should hold their head high as the number of goals scored during that period say nothing about the multiple near misses created by IRMO throughout the game and particularly after going down by 3.

The final goal by Dennis was the last thing I wanted to see happen as we had pushed up, but boy was is a great buildup and finish to see. It may be the only NW goal I caught on video as I was all the way down on the other end of the pitch.

I obviously hate to see the loss for the IRMO squad, but at the end of the day it's all about creating your chances, being competitive, playing with pride and leaving it all on the field. Both teams did that last night.

IRMO will be back in form in 2011 and we all know Northwestern will be as well. The battle between these two will hopefully come down to an Upper State Championship as IRMO moves back to Upper State in 2011 and 2012. Thanks for the great memories IRMO, NW and especially Ricky. Your five goals over the past two years are the stuff of dreams. I expected nothing less, but certainly hoped for less. Well done Sir!

Also, congrats to the IRMO seniors who led the team all year. Each of you have been a pleasure to know and watch grow as individuals and players. Go out into the world and continue to make a difference.