adidaskitten86 had mentioned that it is easier to play with no subs in Seattle than in Louisiana. Unfortunately, several of the CESA girls teams played games with one or no subs in Baton Rouge. The '92 team played the state champs from South Texas with the no subs, the keeper on the bench with hamstring injury and a field player in goal (she played quite well, btw). With injuries, illnesses and a November roster freeze it just worked out that way, so after Regionals and looking at the final roster selections the club seems to have decided to fill rosters to their capacity (U-18 capacity is 22). That change in direction (can't remember a previous year the club filled rosters to capacity) after the club posted the Premier/Challenge pool may have cost some of the players positions.

The 3 CESA '92 teams had 45 players on last year's rosters. The pool selections posted after tryouts included, I believe, 27 names. I don't know how many registered for tryouts to know how many players may have decided prior to tryouts not to play (or play at another club) and how many may have been cut to get 27. Given past rosters 27 may have been considered enough to put 2 teams on the field. However, maximizing a roster of 22 would mean 5 of the 27 would now have no Challenge team to join, and additional cuts may have been made.

As many of you have said you have to ask the individuals for the reasoning behind the decisions. It should also be noted that just because previous members of the CESA '92 teams don't appear on next year's roster it doesn't necessarily mean they've given up the game or a desire to play in college.

At least 2 of the players graduated and will be playing in college on soccer scholarships next year. Those 2 were members of the Premier team. I don't know if there were seniors on the Challenge/Classic teams last year. At least 2 players, 1 Challenge and 1 Premier (both committed to play at same college) are moving to another club to play their senior year together in the Challenge League (at significantly lower cost and with the college coach's approval). Another player committed to play in college who played several years on the Premier team but spent the last couple of years on the Challenge team is moving to another club to play her senior year in Premier League. There are at least a couple of other Challenge team members that have committed to play in college but will not be returning to play at CESA (don't know if they are playing elsewhere).

On the other side of the highway you also have 4 or 5 players on next year's CESA '92 roster that will be playing for CESA for the first time. Another player who played previously for CESA Premier, then moved to another Premier team is also returning to CESA.

Yes, there has been what seems to be an unusual amount of movement within the '92 age group at CESA this year, and I'm sure some of the movement is based on reasons already stated. I'm guessing there has been some movement in the SCUFC '92 rosters as well now that they are headed to R3PL, although probably not to the extent seen at CESA.

As far as a player's commitment to playing in three leagues, it's not as overwhelming as it may look on the surface. The ECNL schedule will be participation in the CASL tournament, another ECNL event in Florida between Christmas and New Year (not Disney), and 4 additional games. Until ECNL is fully evolved those events represent the team's tournament schedule. With 21/22 players on the roster playing both R3PL and Challenge League will allow greater opportunities relative to playing time as well as opportunites for some players to gain some experience playing in positions they don't usually get the chance to play in R3PL. I'm fairly certain the bulk of movement has nothing to do with a perceived demand of playing in 3 leagues, but you'd have to ask the individual players to know for sure.

GBDAWGS, none of those events or leagues occur in the Spring when they could conflict with the SC High School season. If you are considering joining or advising someone who is considering joining the CESA '92 team, then after you analyze the movement by those who will not be playing U-18 at CESA next year (I'm sure all of the "maybe" list could apply), you may want to analyze the reasoning of those who have decided to stay or join for the first time. I'm sure they will put a competitive group on the field.