Everything is CESA's fault. If I hear this litany one more time, My head will explode. My son played for Columbia Soccer/Columbia United for the past 13 years, the last 6 at the elite level. All I heard was CESA this and CESA that. From the board, coaches, parents, on down to the players.

One of the main problems with ODP (and there are many as this blog has brought out} is the lack of support on the club/team coach level. In all of the years my son was eligible for ODP, not one coach encouraged/spoke to him or his team about ODP. Look at club websites and see how many promote ODP. The only mention on SC United's website that I could find was one of their players making Region.

This past year the 93 boys state team had 20 players rostered. Most were from the upstate (Greenville and Rock Hill, CESA influence again). Only 10 went to Region Camp. The team took on the 4 players from Georgia to make a team. Seems that GA has its problems too.

Columbia United (SC United) has 5 U-17 teams this season. Thats around 90 players of 93's and 94's. Add the 93's playing U-18 and the 94's playing U-16, and the # becomes around 150 or more players. Guess how many tried out for ODP last year. Three. One 93 and two 94's. That is atrocious.

Many at SC United have put all of their eggs in the Developmental Academy basket and think that ODP should just go away. And without support, maybe it will. Let's face it: The Academy is not for every player. There are only so many spots on the Academy roster. Whether it be Classic League, Challenge League, Region III Premier, Atlantic Soccer League, National League, or ODP, there are many venues where good players can participate and develop. There is a place for ODP. It could be so much more than it is. But first it needs support.

SCYSA member clubs should be made to lend support. To be sanctioned by SCYSA, all clubs should participate and support all of SCYSA's programs. Maybe each club should be mandated to fill a minimum # of slots per age group based on the size of the club at ODP tryouts. But, with this mandated participation, the clubs should require a total revamp of the program.

Another problem is tryouts. I am amazed at how the state organization and coaches can expect to meet with players from across the state for 3 hours on a Saturday morning, watch 100 players in an age group play 8v8, and choose a state team, giving every kid who shows up an equal chance. Rightly or wrongly, parents and players leave these tryouts feeling the game is rigged.

I don't know who on the state level is in control of ODP. But they need new blood to give a new vision of what ODP is and what it could be for the players of SC. Maybe an advisory board of those who don't have a vested interest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not faulting those who have worked so hard in the past for SC ODP. But there are new challenges facing the program and unless the powers that be sit down and take a long hard look at ODP and revamp the program, it will continue to be so much less than it could be. And the losers are not the administrators, directors, coaches, parents -- the losers are the young boys and girls who are being shortchanged.