Quote:

The point is harry, she has a better chance of getting a D1 scholarship for running a sub 20 5k, which most top club soccer players can run, than a D1 soccer scholarship, for maybe 2k in costs of good running shoes, rather than 20k over the next 4 years in club soccer fees. Without all the club headaches and drama.

Right. And I have no problem with that at all. The only problem is, what if the goal is not to get a scholarship? What if getting a scholarship is something that happens on the way to acheiving your goal? What if playing the sport you love, as much as you can play it, at the highest level you can play it, in the best environment you can find is the goal? If that were the case, then the 'easiest' way to get a D1 scholarship may be irrelevant.

If your daughter loves to run, great. I say let her run as much as she can wherever and whenever she wants. If she gets a scholarship, even better. If my kid wants to play soccer, I'll support her playing as much as she can against the best teams we can put in front of her.