Quote:

A) is odp "watered down" because some premier players are now doing ecnl?

B) is ecnl "watered down" because some premier players are doing odp?

C) does it really make a difference?

D) is this all just a further example of how fractured youth soccer is in sc?

My understanding is that, at present, CESA is going to attempt to field a single team that will play RIIIPL and ECNL similar to what they did last year. They are likely going to have a large roster because that is a LOT of games; nearly 30 ECNL games alone.

CSA in Charlotte has changed their team heirarchy and created a new team that is exclusively ECNL. Their Predator(old top level) team will compete in RIIIPL. Both have significant expenses tied to them.

ODP is still an option for all.

I know kids that are in all 3 and kids who have picked only one avenue.

Now on to your questions. It appears to me that in the short run, CESA's larger roster and CSA's multiple teams is actually giving more kids a chance to play against other states. If that constitutes watered down because more "little susie's" are getting a chance, then absolutely. Is that a negative; I am not convinced it is.

As far as the state being fractured, it has been ever since my kids were old enough to play and probably still will be when my kids are gone. Every year something changes and some club does something controversial. Somebody will feel left out and try to merge with somebody else until all the egos(& paychecks) in the state are fed. Certainly, USYS will heavily promote an alternative to ECNL and the pendulum will swing the other direction.

RIIIPL is still a very viable league. At last glance, there were zero Florida teams in ECNL(I am sure the board statisticians will proof my work). Those clubs down there still have an RIIIPL championship as their primary target. NC has two ECNL teams in the Mid-Atlantic Region, SC 1, GA 3, AL 1, VA 1. The real bulk of the ECNL teams is not in the Southeast. Any team that makes RIIIPL has a tough schedule ahead. It's not the YMCA just because a few clubs created ECNL teams. Winning a state league and going to regionals / nationals is also still a huge deal and great experience.

In the end, I say it is NOT bad to have all of this going on for our kids.

The real shame of it all is the $$$$.$$ to play.

Last edited by pitchparent; 05/02/11 01:36 PM.