We've attended R3PL, ECNL, ODP and USYSA Regional games over the last few . The number of coaches on the sidelines at ECNL games has far exceeded anything I've seen at the other events. In fact, at U16 and above, each ECNL game gets more coaches on the sidelines than all R3PL games combined.

However, keep in mind that these ECNL games are the showcase events. In the coming year, it sounds like there will be more regional games. I would expect only a small fraction of the coaches to attend these regional games compared to a showcase. In fact, I'd expect the attendance to be similar to R3PL games unless ECNL advertises the games to regional coaches (i.e. some kind of "get out the coach" initiative).

I guess what I'm saying is that comparing coaches at ECNL showcase games v R3PL league games probably isn't really comparing apples-to-apples. Regardless, in the end, the competion and experience gained by the players at both is great.

On a different note, I'd like to echo someone elses comments about dollars going to the club since ECNL. Overall soccer costs may be higher because of the travel (and 2010-2011 felt "cheap" comparied to 2009-2010 because of the event locations and flight costs), but the amount we pay to the club hasn't changed. But, unfortunately, if the cost is too expensive for a family, then it really doesn't matter where the check goes (club or airlines or other) because it's still too expensive.