From Greenville News Online.

Fans must love the economic value of attending a match between Mauldin and Riverside. They always get to watch some free soccer.

On Monday night, the teams met for the third time this season, and for the third straight time, the score was even at the end of regulation.

The Region 2-AAAA rivals split their regular-season meetings. Riverside won the first 1-0 on penalty kicks. Mauldin won the second 3-1 in overtime.

Mauldin won Monday's rubber match, claiming a 3-2 victory and the Class AAAA girls soccer Upper State championship.

With less than two minutes left in the first overtime period, Mauldin's Gracie Boswell turned on a shot from the far right side and peeled the ball gently into the left side of the net.

Unlike Mauldin's early 2-0 lead, Boswell's go-ahead goal stood.

“In my six years here, I can only think of maybe two games where we've played them and it's ended in regulation,” said Mauldin coach Kevin Czar. “They are a heck of a team. They play the same style we play. It's always a battle with them, and we knew it coming in.

“The girls found a way to gut it out. That's what they've done all year.”

Gina Cardenas gave Mauldin a 1-0 lead less than four minutes into the match. Mauldin's Sarah Tuggle added a goal on a free kick with 5:40 left in the half.

Riverside salvaged some momentum before halftime as Jamie Reid scored with 2:18 remaining. With 25:03 left in regulation, Riverside drew a foul inside the box. Anna Tarry converted the subsequent penalty kick, evening the score.

Riverside, who won the Class AAA state title in each of the past two seasons, closed its first season in AAAA with a 22-3-2 overall record. The Warriors finished tied for second in the region with a 10-1-1 record. Riverside's only region loss was to Mauldin.

“This is the new region rivalry, and it's best for the region,” said Riverside coach Terry Archenhold. “I really believed that whoever came out of this one would have a great chance at winning state. I'll be surprised if they don't.”

Mauldin (23-2-1) will make its fourth consecutive trip to the state final. The Mavericks won the state title in 2009. The other three trips ended in losses to Wando, who has won three of the last four state championships.

Mauldin will meet its nemesis once again on Friday, as Wando earned its fifth straight Lower State title on Monday with a 1-0 win over Lexington.

Only time will tell