Quote:

I would ask though: Is the idea to "level" the field by effectively reducing the H.S. talent pool, or SHOULD IT BE for laggard high school programs to dig in and improve by hiring competent, committed staff?
Discuss.

I think it would be interesting to see if the dynamic would change if high school soccer programs competed like high school football programs--each high school coaching staff entirely responsible for training and coaching its own players. No matter how committed a staff is, a mostly stand-alone program is at a distinct disadvantage when faced with an equally committed program whose players ALSO are trained and compete at a high level during the other months of the year--not just during the allowed high school training/competition season.

I understand entirely what you mean about the need for high school programs to have competent, committed staff, and I couldn't agree more--and given the nature of soccer competition, programs can help "level the playing field" not only by working towards maximum player development within their own programs, but also by encouraging rather than discouraging players to participate in activities and opportunities--even outside their own programs--that provide for positive player development and experience.

I've got good news and bad news...