Quote:

I didn't make the statement--read the thread--IH8KATZ and Backscreen did, I just repeated it.
How can you call the youth development of arguably our best national player irrelevant? Man, are you playing with blinders on!
I didn't tear into the Academy program, I applauded it. Couldn't help but notice you didn't want to address Pele's development or the Brazilian example I brought up.
If you have time, look up David Beckham's youth background and the circumstances he had to overcome.
Go ahead--spend your money. See where you are in a few years---ODP,--Super Y--Academy--?

What is always interesting in these arguments is that the counter examples presented to support the argument for non-structured development are always the super phenoms from a certain geographical pool. Statistically these examples have to exist. In every model there will be out-liers. People who are so naturally gifted that they can develop inspite of the absence of structured guidance at an early age. But you have to be careful. The fact that Albert Einstein didn't complete highschool doesn't discredit the value of high school education for the masses. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are both college dropouts but most of our kids better get a college degree.

The case of Dempsey is indeed interesting. You didn't go far enough in his story. He was identified as being gifted at a young age and he was recruited by an elite soccer club, the Dallas Texans, where he participated in structured development. He tells the story of his parents having to drive 3 hours to practice. It appears that even when his parents were hard on resources, teammate families contributed funds for him to remain in the Dallas Texans program.

What about Beckham? He was signed by Manchester United to their youth training program at the age of 14. Same program that produced Nicky Butt, Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes.

Ofcourse Pele is the special one. But even he started training with a professional club at age 15.

Should we even bring up Messi? When did he move to the Barcelona academy? 11 or 13?

I guess what I am trying to say is that even the really gifted super players have at some point in their development become part of a structured environment that helps to channel their god-given talent and to elevate it to a higher level.

Barely can we compare the rank and file of all the major leagues say, EPL, La Liga, MLS to the standout examples we have discussed above. And Since our South Carolina hopefuls are not for the most part this level of player, how much more do they need the help that the academy offers.

In a perfect world, the academy would be free for any that qualify. In fact in other states where MLS academies exist, most of them are free-play. Unfortunately South Carolina doesn't have an MLS base or anyone willing to step up and sponsor a free-play academy. Until that happens those who want to foster young people's soccer dreams will have to keep paying. They will pay for classic, challenge, premier, ODP and academy depending on what level their kid is at.