Quote:

I didn't make the statement--read the thread--IH8KATZ and Backscreen did, I just repeated it.
How can you call the youth development of arguably our best national player irrelevant? Man, are you playing with blinders on!
I didn't tear into the Academy program, I applauded it. Couldn't help but notice you didn't want to address Pele's development or the Brazilian example I brought up.
If you have time, look up David Beckham's youth background and the circumstances he had to overcome.
Go ahead--spend your money. See where you are in a few years---ODP,--Super Y--Academy--?

1. Ok, should have said I didn't accept THE statement, not your statement.

2. Regarding Pele and Clint Dempsey....not writing THEM off as irrelevant, rather the rags to riches, roll up an old ball of tape and use it as a ball, when I was younger I used to walk 10 miles to school uphill, both ways.....stories as irrlevant to kids today.

As was noted.....Clint Dempsey joined the Texans, arguably the top club (Academy also...) in the country at a pretty young age. Pele and the soccer culture of Brasil cannot be compared to the US at any level. It simply doesnt translate to American soccer.

No doubt.....IMO the single charateristic that seperated the kids at the thinnest layer at the top, is the work they do on their own. Rolled up ball of tape or a $60 ball. Ultimately, every kid that "makes" it does buttloads of work on their own.

But when you introduce formal structure into the mix....be it HS or CLub or Academy or local YMCA.........and talk about development and competition there really isn't any comparison. That was my point And my second point was....for the top level player, if you are going to introduce structure to the player....the more you do of the best and the more you can limit the mediocre...the better the player will do developmentally.

For every Dom Wren or Phil Savitz or Shilo Tisdale in South Carolina HS coaching....there are 5 guys like I used to be. Coaches who mean well, but can't really offer the kids at the highest level the instruction and motivation they need to keep getting better technically and tactically. Its just how it is.