Great article. Thanks for sharing.

In American sports, the way to the pros is through college. That is just always the way it has been.
Soccer, that isn't the case. You can be 20 years old and be the best player in the world. Is this true for any other sport? Maybe tennis? (Tennis doesn't really apply to the USA but best example I could think of) I think for most sports, players don't hit their prime until mid 20's (see Lebron James/Tiger Woods).

Society says "You have to go to college in order to be successful" but is that really the case when it comes to pro athletes?

What if they blow their knee out and can't play any more?

Then they can go to college like the rest of us. You don't miss out on college just because you don't enroll when you are 18. Sure you might be the "old" person in the class but you can still go.

Sure the average person, like myself, needed to go to college to have a decent job. 17 year old kids, that may or may not be in their prime should live the dream while they have the chance.

Younger pros? Is that the answer?

Is their a difference in the MLS Academy's and the one that is here in Charleston?