Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have to agree and you only zeroed in on football. Look at Dirk and Akeem (sp?) soccer stars in their youth that are now considered two of the best basketball players at their positions ever. Would they have acheived what they did if they just played one sport and only one sport growing up. I agree practice makes perfect but there is something to be said for the kid that expands his skill set by playing other sports and also does not get burnt out because all he did was play a single sport since he was 10.

Dirk and Akeem. Physical specimens. Would probably succeed at the top level in any sport that they pursue. They are 1 in a million (maybe even greater).

For the normal "Joe", who is not nearly as athletically gifted, perhaps he has to go the extra mile and focus in on one sport. Practice makes perfect.....the only shot "Joe" would have to even remotely compete with Dirk and Akeem.

But again, you may argue......."at what price"? Life is full of sacrafices (choices).

Can't buy the physical specimen argument. Look at Chad Johnson and Manute(sp) Bol. Ocho couldn't make the Sporting and Bol...well, we all saw how that turned out.

There are always exceptions. The question that needs to be asked is where would those guys be (Dirk and Akeem) if they had NOT gone into the development program

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not. But your examples suport my point, IMO. Chad Johnson/86.....All Pro football player, World class athlete, world class specimin....no skill to compete at a comparitively minor league level.