Quote:

so theres no physical attribute for the soccer player as the level of play increases, hs-college-pro?
that short little outstanding goalie at the hs level has a shot at manchester united?, that big oversized hs defender has the speed to play barca?
in trying to put soccer in the skill only category, you guys are kind of arguing against yourselves anyway.
in hoops & nfl, you gotta not only have the skill, but gotta have the body style to survive, so, to me, its more exclusive. ....what am i missing besides getting this thread way off track?

Not trying to say soccer is all skill and no athlete. By no means!!!

I played high school football and love it to death. My favorite sport!!

But while there is skill involved with executing a block or making a tackle....I would argue that there is a heckuva lot MORE skill required to be able to hit a golf ball to a precise spot consistently. Or hit a baseball. Or cleanly settle a flighted ball from 30 yards away while in traffic and not lose the ball.

All sport has a ratio between "skill" and required athleticism. I don't know the right ratio, but from personal experience and opinion.....golf is MUCH more heavily weighted towards skill, altho Tiger revolutionized the game from a fitness perspective. Football has skill/technique, but relies a lot more and is much more heavily weighted towards athleticism. Soccer to me is balance, which is what makes it unique. Messi is fast as heck going forward when he receives the ball in space in the middle of the field. But he is also otherworldly skilled to be able to run at full speed in traffic with the ball right on his foot.

I see lots of fast athletic kids in soccer who make that Messi run with the ball.....and lose it immediately because of too big a touch. Thast why kids who are serious about the game need to be training at a high level year round. The skill required to do that....won't be gained over night, or by training a couple of months a year. Or by making runs against lesser competition.

A kid that wants to be a top notch soccer player needs to develop the skills and the athleticism. Messi went to Barcelona at what, 14? You think these European guys get good by taking a 4 month sabatical from their youth club teams so they can train and play with any kid from the neighborhood who wants to play? Does that happen?