Sandman,

The referee got it right on the kicks from the mark. Per FIFA rules, an infringement by the defensive team is not called if the goal is scored. On the first kick, the keeper came off her line prior to the kick and the goal was NOT scored...per the rules, the kick was retaken. On every kick after that, the keeper did come off her line again, BUT--the goal was scored on the first attempt every time nonetheless. Therefore, there was, correctly, no call.

Now, I was just as upset about Brazil's in-my-opinion-undeserved and retaken penalty kick as anyone. If there was infringement into the penalty box prior to the kick, though...and the video seemed to show there was...then the correct response according to the rules was to retake the kick if it did not score. The "if the infraction didn't interfere or advance the play" rule you are referring to is for the offside rule. Also, on other fouls, the referee will play "advantage"--the foul is not called if the victim's team has greater advantage from the continuation of play than with a stoppage and free kick--for example, a player is tripped, but immediately regains footing for a breakaway toward goal. Calling the foul would take away the obvious advantage the player had despite being fouled. The rule on penalty kicks is pretty clear-cut...you don't step into the box before the kick is taken.

From watching the game and replays, my theory is that the infringement was called on the encroaching field player, not on Hope. It is the AR's job to monitor infringements by the goalkeeper; her flag never went up. The referee's responsibility is to monitor infringements by players OTHER than the goalkeeper, particularly encroachment into the box prior to the kick. The call seemed to come entirely from her. As for the yellow card, the FIFA rules for a penalty kick do not mention a caution for a goalkeeper who steps off her line early. I wasn't there and this is speculation, but with all of the animated and obviously emotional reaction to the decision to retake the kick, the yellow card could well have been for something Hope SAID rather than what she DID.

Now, was the overall officiating, especially the missed offside call that led to the Brazilian goal to tie, pretty questionable? In my opinion, yes--but let's give them credit for what they got right so that we remain credible when we point out what they got wrong.

As for the flopping...I am in total agreement.

I've got good news and bad news...