Its interesting to me all of the conversations about results versus development. Clearly at this level the focus needs to be on results. But style is a result of development and without development, any results will only be short term.

I'm thrilled with the women's results. There is something to be said for perserverance and overcoming obstacles.

But I watched most of the first half yesterday.....and came away much more impressed with the French. Loved Louissa....
whatever her last name was. I thought France countered beautifully and their midfield play totally dominated us. They were technically and tactically better than we were. Thought they did exactly the same thing against England over the weekend.

All I've heard is how our coach is changing the style of how we play. Haven't really seen that. Haven't seen the American women (or men) play anything close to how the French women played yesterday. We won. Great....and I hope we beat Japan.

But I think a lot of us love soccer because not only is it athletic competition.....but when done right, it's art as well. More than baseball, more than football, on par with basketball. When played brilliantly it transcends mere sport, IMO.

I don't want to merely win championships, I want to make a mark. Be remarkable. We will remember the drama of Abby vs Brasil, or Hope getting that one. But will we make a mark? Can't say I remember a single specific play from Spain's WC run. I do remember that I have never seen the game played so well in all my life.

That may be what sandman is kvetching about..and if so I think I get his point and agree with it. I want us to win....but I want us to play great doing so.