Quote:

Actually, there are many brilliant basketball coaching minds in Europe. The reason you don't see/hear many of them at the highest level here is the language barrier.
I must say, though, that I find the automatic connection between a German/British/Spanish/Italian accent and unique coaching insight more than a bit presumptuous.
Guess I just know too many "Americans" who know absolutely nothing about baseball/basketball/football to assume we're inherently qualified to coach those sports in Europe.

Of course there are!! There just aren't many. Certainly not when compared to a sport like soccer.

Doesn't necessarily come down to coaching insight so much as it does understanding the game. I would think that an American kid who grew up playing baseball in the back yard and little league from the age of 5 and continued on thru HS baseball....watching it on tv all the time, grew up going to Braves games a couple of times a year.....could spit out the starting lineup and batting averages of his team..........probably has a reasonably solid understanding of the game.

That understanding and cultural awareness exists in this country for baseball and basketball and football. And probably NASCAR. jk.

We're not there for soccer. With the growth of the game and immigration we may be less than a generation away though.

The average English kid or German kid o Italian kid grew up playing soccer and seeing it everywhere. Their Elite coach may be no better than ours, but there average.......is better.

Thats my point.