I played college soccer for 2 years but don’t really know the ins and outs of the recruiting process. Here is what I think is true from what I have seen happen from my experience as a player and now as a high school coach:
1- I THINK it’s easier to recruit a kid from out of state because a coach can offer them in state tuition and it only counts a small amount against the total scholarship dollars. For example if a school cost $10,000 for out of state and $5000 for in state, the coach can say “I’ll give you $5000 to come here” and it’s not actually costing the coach that much. I COULD BE WRONG…it has happened once or twice in my life.
2- Some foreign players that come here are coming to use our education system to work towards a career that probably doesn’t include being a professional footballer. IN MY EXPERIENCE, I have found that the foreign players have a much higher value on the education they are getting to try to better themselves. I know that isn’t true for all and we are not all lazy Americans.

Just one guy’s opinion/observations