Backscreen here is the food for thought:
1. Fitness cert for officials - who will pay for this not sure you know but if you require this then it will cost.
2. You want assessors to be at the matches - again who pays for this as this will also cost.
3. Where are you going to find all the people that are fit as a fiddle, can run like a world class sprinter, never miss a call. Answer you can't!!!
4. Give you this much, yes there are referee's out there that aren't not as mobile as others, don't apply the Law/Rules like others, misses calls, and such. But and here's the big But if you don't have these referee's out there then you won't be able to have your match as there are not that many referee's out there. This is with any sport not only with soccer.

Now my take yes I would like to see a grade level like USSF and with that fitness and assessments but the hard truth is that the High Schools have the option to pay for a three man system but due to the extra cost elect not to. So if they aren't willing to pay an extra few dollars for a three man system then the chances they would be willing to pay for the other above items would be ZERO chance. Until soccer is taken seriously and supported by the state's, the news media and such things, there won't be to many changes.

The follow up on the assignors, they do what they can to match the referee's to the level of play but there are only a few referee's that work very hard to better themselves and strive to do better with every match, so if you have 10 matches that are barn burners and only 5 top referee's that can handle these type of matches what can the assignors do? I will give you the easy answer, the best they can.

Backscreen I will leave you with this if you want things to improve then I invite you to get involved, get certified, go out to the fields on every Saturday, Sunday and during the week and mentor the referee's and help them to get better. You might ask well how much do I get paid to do this? That would be ZERO!!!!! If we got paid to mentor then you would get more mentors out there but where would that money come from? Here again it would come out of your pocket as a parent so are you willing to pay an extra $100 per player each season? I will tell you that very few parents would do this. If you have any positive input please feel free to share it with us. I will now have to leave to head to the soccer field to mentor 5 matches today my question to you is what are you going to do today to help improve the referee's in your local area?