Quote:

The player is forced to acknowledge and take responsibility for his mistake with a foul or card. The coach and team also has to take responsibility. Ultimately being rewarded with a win or loss. Does a ref even have his pay cut? Loose assignments? etc.

Interesting that you should say that. In the college level yes, the referee takes responsibility. A National Florida official who was the president of his association messed up a college game. He was banned from doing games for one year, by the conference he messed up in. So it does happen.

By giving all the "hot" games to the good officials. All that does is burn out the good officials who go out there EVERY time and trying to referee a war. Its not fair to them and not fair to the young guys who want to move up.

I don't hand pick my games, but I will give a list of schools that I won't do for whatever reason. And I think in our capitalist system, that is fine. We did not sign any long term contract, and we are not doing professional games that is our only source of income. Some of the coaches in my area who are really hard on referees have learned that they will never get what they think are the "good" officals because of their behavior. So in a sense by the "good" officials not doing some teams, they are slowly changing some behavior of coaches, teams, etc.

Finally, since we are all a small community, we all know our officials and coaches very well. If you see a guy come out who you know will call a fair game, and for what ever reason just has a bad night, let that official (in a nice way) that he had a clunker. Or that the coaches made it more difficult for him/her then it should have been. That is all a good official wants to hear after a bad game.