Backscreen, most referees don't "routinely" ask off hot games. Most have places that they don't like to go referee...that's the end of it. Those referees take their share of hard games at other venues, that is all.

Your second point is well taken.

I don't know of any coaches that are punished or disciplined by not getting referees. I do know certain programs that get OK to subpar referees because the "good" referees don't want to go deal with their bush league behavior. It is what it is, but these coaches or programs bring it on themselves.

Of course referees remember what coaches have a tendency to do. Ever heard of the phrase, forgive them but don't forget? That is what we do. I have made a comment to a coach, that even though he gets on my nerves, I will still call a fair game. You can really, really dislike a coach, but still call a good game. I know, I have done it.

If being human is a disqualifier for all matches, you better just go to robots to officiate a match.

BTW, I never ask specifically for a school or coach, I just say where I don't want to go. The rest is done by the assignor. Plus we have to fill out a form about where we went to school, and any personal conflicts with refereeing at any school.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....