Quote:

I don't know of any coaches that are punished or disciplined by not getting referees. I do know certain programs that get OK to subpar referees because the "good" referees don't want to go deal with their bush league behavior. It is what it is, but these coaches or programs bring it on themselves.

This is exactly 100% correct. Programs bring it on themselves. As an independent contractor, I am free to tell my assignor where I do not want to go for whatever reason. And no one is putting a gun to my head to tell me where to go. It should not be some great shock to the soccer community. Good referees are not out to punish these coaches by not going there, but after 5 or 10 seasons of never seeing a good referee, you would think some coaches would look into the mirror and realize that the way do things is the problem.

All most referees ask for is for teams to be knowledgeable about the rules. Teams to keep their comments and opinions to themselves, and allow referees to do their job without a running narration of every single play. Most referees do this all year round at all levels. I see more matches in a year from all the College, H.S., Youth, and Amateur games I do, then most coaches will see in their lifetime. I do more college matches (50) in one season alone, then most High School coaches do in two seasons, give us a little credit for having much much more experience at higher level games.

Coaches need to learn that the match is an extension of the classroom, and how they behave on the field is how they should behave in a classroom with an administrator present. It is never acceptable for a coach to yell across the field at another adult, under any circumstance. Why referees tolerate it in South Carolina is beyond me. And instead of dealing with same nonsense over and over again, its easier to say to the assignor let someone else deal with them, and if enough referees decide the same thing, maybe things with that program will change. Why Athletic Directors who go to some of these games and witness the behavior of some of their coaches not step and say something is also beyond me.