RESPONSE: You are kidding, right?
Really guys, all this does is pass the buck and punish kids, who deserve better. It rationalizes a poor choice.

In response to that...I am not punishing anybody. How am I passing the buck? This is not on me, no matter how you put it. The punishment to the kids would be hiring a coach that is abusive, or allowing fans/players/parents to get out of hand at an event.

The other thing that you have got to understand is that I referee because it is fun, it can be challenging at times, but it is still fun. If it ever becomes not fun, I'm done. I enjoy getting outside for some fresh air, getting some exercise, providing what I think is above average refereeing skills, and in the end some givng back to the game. If I had to put up with abuse all of the time, I would stop refereeing games. I have better things to do with my life than put up with that. I could run more races with my family, I could spend more time up at the cabin on the water with my family, etc....

It isn't a job for me, I don't need the money...and when it comes down to why referees ref.....it is because they like it, and it is fun. Take that away, and then you would only have the referees that are in it for the money, and I can gurantee they aren't the best ones out there!

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....