I understand--everyone would be asking, "why did he allow the kick to be taken when players were obviously infringing?" The rules state, though, that in the case of infringement before the kick, the referee allows the kick to be taken. The action AFTER the kick is determined by the result of the kick.

If the kick is successful, it's a wasted effort due to the infringement and has to be retaken.

If the kick is unsuccessful and advantage is in favor of the defending team, play continues as if there was no infringement--no harm, no foul.

If the kick is unsuccessful and the attacking team still gains advantage (the ball is put back into play so that the attacking team has another chance to score), the play is stopped and a kick is awarded to the defending team.

I know, it seems unnecessarily complicated, but there it is. The officials who stop the play to adjust the position of the players prior to the kick are taking a "teachable moment," but they are not really supposed to do that under the rules of the game. If their encroachment costs their team a successful PK attempt, so be it!

I've got good news and bad news...