So far I've had about 7 games between my 2 club teams, one in the challenge league and one in the PMSL.......

So far, officiating has been ok. In my challenge league games, the refs haven't been on par with the level of play. In one particular game, the AR never was in line with the defense and that led to some very aggravating situations lol.

In the PMSL, maybe because I'm more lenient, the refereeing has been good quality. Refs were doing their job very efficiently. Some mistakes here and there, but even the most naive coach has to expect that.

I'm not sure what the state overall can do to better the refereeing. I know in my area, we have shortage of refs and in some weekends we have guys doing almost a full day's worth of games. Our club has tried to throw incentives to our youth players to get their refereeing licenses and we've had very minimal success.

Coaches and parents also have to do their part. I've seen plenty cases this season where a coach or a parent is berating the refs (and sometimes players) for a questionable call. I've been guilty of it as well in my short career and is something I'm working on changing.

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com