By 'they' I assume you mean SCYS, and the '60/40' rule applied around 2011/12.

I'm not aware of that ending and certainly is still part of the club application consideration (see item 5): http://www.scysa.org/scysa_admin/how_to_become_a_club

I do know they have granted time for clubs to meet that requirement, although I'm not sure how many did meet it, or what happened when they didn't.
I'd refer you to SCYS administration and/or leadership for full insight.

For clubs in existence prior to the rule, these were grandfathered in and not under its direction or authority.

I feel this is a hard rule to apply consistently as it unfairly applies to clubs in different parts of the State differently. For example, in the low-country, municipalities like City of Charleston and Town of Mount Pleasant run the broader rec programs while in some other areas, Clubs partner with government to run these. Therefore it is much harder to grow a rec base in Charleston when solid recreation alternatives exist.

What is challenging now is that if some, like us this past year, move portions of their (non rec) club to US Club Soccer for affiliation, that artificially inflates our rec standing/percentage in eyes of SCYS registration

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong