Having kids that did both, boys DA and one currently on ECNL team, I find it funny how people always know best about the leagues they aren’t part of or what the actual level of play is in those. Just because you get to play against ECNL or DA team on a random showcase during the Spring, and beat them, doesn’t mean you would be successful or competitive playing them during 20 league games week in and out.

Getting ECNL or DA is a process, you need to meet certain criteria but I’m sure everyone here is fully aware of that. This year USA joined forces with Tormenta on the girls side to boost their resume to get ECNL. That helped with doing well in the NPL. Unfortunately they didn’t get into ECNL again. I say again as each year everyone is told they are getting it, but since it’s a rolling application let’s pretend there’s still a chance for this Fall. Based on the news that Tormenta is starting their own youth program their best players are out of the 03s and 02s who were major contributors to the NPL success. Now what? With GPS on every corner it’s just a matter of time before they get girls NPL.

We have been lucky to have ECNL for many years in the Upstate. Chuck you keep mentioning that ECNL in Midlands isn’t that great yet I can tell you from experience that they are very competitive and that’s only year 2 for them. It will only get better. Per your statement many kids leave Charleston to play. Why is that? Surely can’t be just the level of play? Overall soccer experience and coaching is just as important as the league they play in. Kids used to leave prior to ECNL and DA and there were plenty of RPL spots available in town.

I hope things work out for the best for all you guys in Chucktown!!