This is an age-old discussion that has significant relevance in the current environment of prep athletics. I believe everyone in this realm should do as much homework as possible and not let the rhetoric of today's society interfere with the arcane views of so many of the Palmetto State administrators and athletic directors.

Simply put, this is 2019, not 1979, and athletic departments are as large as they have ever been incorporating as many as 30 varsity sports under their umbrellas. Of course, this is a domino effect, because what might be popular in one geographic of the state is not prevalent in another. However, the day that "American football" rules is over. At least it should be. The sooner we see high schools move away from a football first mentality then the more prolific prep sports will remain (or even grow) because right now with all of the specialization of certain sports it has diminished the high school role. When prep coaches not involved with American football (of which I am a huge fan) demand equal pay, same off-season workouts, etc., then that overhaul will not be complete. That paradigm has gone the way of the Dodo Bird - it's just who is willing to stand up for split Athletic Director positions in this state? In fact, I would be all for an AD not having any coaching responsibilities, but realize that might be impossible in some rural areas.

States Continue to Address Competitive Balance of Schools

I would be for this form of promotion/relegation for each sport.

Quote:
Cox and the IHSAA are among the states to stray from multipliers, instead opting to author the success factor. In Indiana, the success factor, also known as Rule 2-5 of the IHSAA bylaws, states that if a school in any classification reaches six points or greater during the previous reclassification period (two-year cycle) in a specific sport’s tournament series, the school will be promoted to the next available higher enrollment class for the next reclassification period. Schools earn one point for a sectional championship, two points for a regional championship, three points for a semi-state championship and four points for a state championship.

I highly encourage you to scour the internet at how other states have addressed this issue. Personally, I wish the SCHSL, SCISA, and Independents were all combined and we would crown a true champion across the board instead of the multiple winners at each classification or level. I don't really care if a private school can attract students from a broad region due to its religious affiliation. I also don't really care that a mega high school in an ultra progressive and middle class and above area is better in some sports due to its' clientele. But, I do believe the time has come for promotion and relegation to exist in the American sports culture and what better place to introduce it than in the high school ranks.

Perhaps start with sports other than football, but definitely include that sport in the near future (i.e., after four years of displaying the merits in other sports).

Let's face it, all athletics no matter what level or particular sport are privy to the "have's" and the "have nots". It's just a fact. Take a look at the NFL, NBA, MLB, College Football, College Soccer, College Baseball, etc. Basically, it is the same teams historically and then periodically that are good in that realm

Oh well, enough from me but read up, study, and interject! Do not let this be a conversation for a select few to discuss!