Originally Posted By: Snicklefritz
So, please correct me if I am wrong, but what you are saying is that these schools can recruit ANYONE until the first day of their freshman year? That is the problem and where the challenge is. It is not a level playing field. Imagine in the Greenville area (which is opening one of these schools in the near future) if the ECNL and NPL coaches for the boys and girls at the U12 and U13 groups were also the coaches at the new school. They could openly recruit the ENTIRE team to come play for them at a 2A/3A school. The transfer rule once they are in high school is not the issue, it's the ability to pull any kid from anywhere up until that point. That is RECRUITING, which no traditional high school in SC can legally do at any point.b

Again, I believe that there is place for these schools. But they have a giant competitive advantage. Look at the All-State team for 2A girls last year and argue otherwise.

This has been occurring in youth leagues (particularly football/basketball) for ages, i.e. in areas like Gaffney, Summerville, Union, Byrnes, Rock Hill.