Originally Posted By: scsoccerstar
I think the whole Charleston Battery organization is in disarray and this will affect the youth portion of that club as well. They have basically thumbed their nose at the rest of the Lowcountry by saying, "do it our way or else". Now with no home for the professional club and just a presence in Summerville at a rag-tag facility and this is going to be interesting. The Battery were a great club for S.C. to support for 25 years but started to lose their way with the Development Academy and the allure of the almighty dollar. Happens to the best of us! Good luck Charleston area youth soccer!

The Battery are playing in 2020. To do that they must have a field under contract, I believe 120 days before the league begins. They have a field, you just haven't heard where yet.

When the Battery started their search for a youth set up, they reached out to area clubs to work together. The local youth clubs wanted to "do it their own way". And that's fine, though that meant the Battery were suddenly a threat. SSC saw the value in the relationship and so that was the start of CBSC. There was a huge demand for a well run, transparent club in the Mt. Pleasant area, CBSC filled that void with CBSC south. As I showed in prior links, they are finishing the first 3 of 5 fields on Daniel Island, working with Dorchester to renovate the Summerville complex and already have plans to build more fields for the club and communities. It is the exact opposite of disarray.

The Battery dev academy was a great avenue for the best kids in the low country that had top-tier D1 or pro ambitions. When the rules said kids couldn't play high school, understandingly many chose high school and the program faltered. There is no such rule that USL academy players can't also play high school. It will be a destination for the top kids again.

I'm not sure what "the allure of the almighty dollar" means. The local youth soccer clubs bring in millions(as a part of a multi-billion $ US youth soccer market). Some directors and coaches are pocketing much of that. Some are volunteers. Either way is fine if that's what you want. CBSC falls somewhere in the middle.

Good luck to the kids and parents, wherever you live as well. I hope you have a better grasp of your local scene then you do Charleston's