Originally Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic
knew I should have stayed quiet.

I don't see any hypocrisy in our actions. We have always told our teams (members) we will provide access to those leagues that we see are attractive, have value, competitive, limit travel (where possible) and most importantly we have access to (not NPL, ECNL, USL-Academy, etc.)

We have regular meetings to discuss this and would openly support any team enter where they like (as we do with tournaments) if it is practically possible (fields/registration causes issues there). Sort of our nature.

The promotion/relegation changes I am alluding to really only hit us in one BIG way last year with denial to PMSL as self-select (as previous years) for talented teams. By denying access to non SCYS sanctioned leagues, the State denied clubs like ours access who had selected to leave Coastal League for CPL South (at U8-U12) when it started. Our only option then for our mass of mid level teams was either OPEN or CPL/SCCL.

Looking back at history and you will see that our sweet spot is there (PMSL) with good mass over several years, with few making SCSCL and even fewer Piedmont. So really the promotion/relegation is less of an issue; better stated would be application or access to mid level state leagues is our need (whether PMSL or CPL).

We all know it is tough to run two league structures (particularly on the girls side and older U13+) so our decision will always lean to recommend/place our teams where they have, as stated above, access and best local competition (limit travel where we can). That is what drives our decisions, not sanctioning body or any loathing or fear of any other soccer club.

We had a very productive meeting with CBSC not so long ago (about the whole CPL thing), and have a very long history working with the Charleston Battery/Fleet and wish them all the best. As you probably know many of their coaches and families are long time friends and members of ours and certainly no ill will felt here.

Sounds like you just outlined the reason for your hypocrisy (it is better for Cainhoy) instead of a denial of it. That's your prerogative. History will be the judge.