My opinion is that most sports at all classifications need a seeding committee. At the end of the day people want the best teams in the playoffs. I don't advocate for taking every team because I think that diminishes the regular season. I was on a 1A seeding committee early on in my coaching career and things like region champions are still taken into account, but so are tournament winners, depth of region, and strength of schedule.

I would be similar in thought to Coach Dunbaker except taking the top 3 from each region and then having applications for 4 wild card spots from each of the upper and lower states. Theoretically 2 or more of those wild cards could go to teams in the same region. This helps with regions that may be deeper than others. Region champs would be guaranteed a seed in the top 8 of their respective upper or lower state and therefore guaranteed at least 1 home game. Committee needs to have both coaches and ADs.

I agree with common locations for upper and lower state. Those could rotate so upper state could utilize Furman, Clemson, Winthrop, ... for example. Common location for state championship as well.