This raises a very serious point we all have to face in the coming months regarding financial condition and ability to survive what is quickly becoming both a health and financial crisis.

I had a great conversation last week with a tournament director (host) who was refunding large majority of tournament fees to teams, but withhoding a portion to cover some of the upfront costs and perhaps a little toward their operating budget. I thought that was a fair compromise and understood the challenges many clubs will face that depend on these event revenues just to make ends meet.

Personally I don't see how much of a season can be salvaged (should a miracle cure be found) in our area since US Club (SCCL/CPL leagues included) has shut down all operations until at least weekend of April 18/19 and then you hit the Coast and JI events so will face usual issues of field space; team and ref availability. Only way would be to extend the whole year (like EPL and professional leagues) but that has many challenges (evals, season ending events, coach contracts, will teams still have coaches (see below), ref and player willingness, etc.)

COVID-19 will surely have a very significant and meaningful impact to youth soccer in our State and Nationally. Some local clubs and governng bodies have started laying off coaches and staff and I'd expect a lot more trimming as tournaments, camps, clinics, and other revenue opportunities diminish and reserves are spent. The case of family refunds must depend, I'm sure on what savings a club can make, and whether they can be returned. Some costs are sunk (long term land agreements), others (staff arguably, monthly rentals, adjunct training, etc.) preventable and we should all be responsible in returning any savings back to our membership to a fair degree (whether in credit or cash), rather than profit on misery.

As a coach/parent entered into an April tournament, I'd accept that some of those fees might be withheld should said event fold due to the broader health scare, but certainly would expect some back. After all these events wouldn't have to pay refs or rent extra space now. And full disclosure, CASC hosts no (revenue generating) events and so we are luckily free of at least this dilemna.

Stay safe everyone, and heed the warnings: this is serious.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong