Kevin,

I agree with the 3 points that are on the message boards. I think our sport should be a little different in the case of, if we get one positive test do we have to shut completely down? Unless you are holding indoor classroom sessions and huddling up every day I think the close contact would be minimal for soccer. Seems like club has gone ok this fall with not a lot of clubs shutting down entire teams, as far as I could tell.

The competitive advantage that has been brought up will be huge. My school will have a soccer weight training class second semester but that would be only a few weeks before the season starts so we are not gaining much compared to schools that have been in class this fall. Most schools have plenty of room outside for spring sports to distance themselves from other sports. If not, then it gives us a chance to "be creative" as the SCHSL told basketball coaches to do with their schedules. Maybe teams can find other fields or places outside of school to train for open season. Can also just tell spring sports, if it's bad weather, then cancel. Don't go to the gym or inside the school and cross with basketball/wrestling. And it has been said, what is the difference between 20 players conditioning outside and players working with a ball outside.

Another concern of having no open season is for any new players that are trying out for a team. They will have no chance to be seen touching a ball before tryouts and for some, mostly middle schoolers that can play on our JV teams, it might be the first time they have ever played 11v11 on a full-sized field for 60 minutes.

I also share the worries of the baseball coach on other "winter leagues" popping up. I have already heard of a few indoor/futsal leagues and my worry is the same. Who's to say they will follow proper covid guidelines. I would feel much better seeing my guys during the week and know they are doing the right things.

Thanks,
Scott Simmons
Gaffney HS