There are different ways to try to keep the score down; some of them are just as embarrassing (or more) to the other team as running the score up. I've seen players dribble right up to the goal, fake a shot, and then turn and dribble back the other way--the old "could have had ya" routine. This, to me, is less sportsmanlike than shooting. At least if you take the shot, you give the keeper a chance to make the save.

Other teams I've seen just run triangle drills up and down the field, from one goal to the other and back...again, embarrassing, and doesn't really do either team any good.

I say if you want to lay off a bit, play hard on 2/3 of the field (the other team obviously needs the practice against challenging opponents), and take all the shots you want--from the edge of the penalty box and beyond. This gives your strikers and wings some legitimate shooting practice (much more beneficial than dribbling right into the goal on a weak defense, which you more than likely CAN'T reproduce against the stronger team you'll face next--and who couldn't use some extra practice at shooting from outside?), and it also gives the opposing keeper some legitimate practice and a chance to save face by making some saves.

A good soccer team can find a way to challenge themselves in almost any situation--if you're a striker who is just a scoring machine, try taking each shot from a little farther out until you find your limit--and maybe even stretch it--rather than repeating the same easy pattern that isn't even a challenge for you in this situation. Use the opportunity to try some things you wouldn't want to do in high-risk situations; you might just end up adding a new element to your game, and if the other team stops you, it's a boost for them and no harm done for you.

For the underdog teams--remember, small victories can be big victories. I remember the first time our rural, no-feeder-program team scored on a top-ten 4-A school...seemed like our one goal was harder on them than their seven were on us.

Score or no score, odds or no odds, play hard, play 80, and play because you love the game.