Notes, Quotes, Quips, & Zingers from the Palmetto Cup

One of the great things about the Palmetto Cup is the camaraderie of the coaches, volunteers, and soccer fans that convene to talk and watch soccer, discuss current goings-on, and, in general, have a good time in a relaxed atmosphere.

This post will surely be followed up by others that joined in on the fun either at The Cage or Eagle Stadium. Basically what happens is that each press box is an "anything goes" type of setting and a lot of information is shared by all and no one is beyond reproach or ribbing.

"Good evening!" -- a zinger applied to any line that was deemed sarcastic and on-point by that particular person shouting out this popular phrase.

This leads us to another call that was echoed only 10,000 times over the past four days. "That's a true statement", which was followed closely by the saying, "That's a fact" -- both introduced by David Easley, aka, "D-EZ" or the "Governor".

He ain't no Palmer Dill! This comment was started by me after I saw a goalkeeper flub an easy shot that almost went into the goal. Dill was an All-Tournament selection a year ago for Daniel HS and a very solid high school keeper. After that was blurted out, then anytime a goalkeeper struggled with a play someone would yell out this phrase.

One coach was asked if he had ever played college soccer in the state of Texas of which he quickly replied, "No way, not me. There's only two things in Texas ..." and he quickly turned and walked away. CLASSIC!

"Hey Marcus, you got that new 'get in my car'?" I don't know what this is all about, but it's something on YouTube concerning a cartoon guy that keeps getting arrested.

Some of the chants from the stadium stands left them ringing in our heads. Anyone hear, "Let's go Daniel", bellowed in a deep and gutteral voice. How about, "Come on Brothers", ad nauseum. While going to collect game balls after the final match Thursday night at Airport a disgruntled Northwestern fan called to the match officials huddled at midfield, "Hey ref" -- to which no one acknowledged. But, upon his second "Hey ref", drew the stare of three officials and an on-looker, the fan retorted "You suck"!. One of the referees responded, "Yes, I know that. Can you come up with something original next time?"

Many a reference was made about the "angry German Cubs fan" that is so popular on YouTube. If you've seen it, you'll know what I mean, but for those that don't, look it up. This kid is hilarious and I've been a Cubs fan since 1982, so it makes perfect sense, too. A Cardinals fan is responsible for the subtitles and they are brilliant.

Hey 'Q' if you are reading this down in Jamaica over the next week, then you know what to do :-)!

I'll add more when I think of them and I'm sure others will contribute to this thread as well.