I wanted to re-post an earlier post I made on this subject because for some reason all the responses here indicate that the 'central club monster' only will be for a small percentage of players 3-5 %. That is NOT it at all. The central club will benefit all players: rec, classic, challenge, premier. Or, you can have a club that does not include rec. and let them continue their successes on their respective levels at Trenholm Park, NECSA, CSC,LSC, etc. NO ONE wants to do this for one simple reason-- the respective club egos. No one wants to 'give up' their neat little, comfy club for the benefit of Cola. area-wide soccer. Some comments have said that CSC would not cooperate and participate in central club because they are now establishing their own 'monster club', and will just wait til all other clubs join them in 'their quest' for the best soccer. I have even heard that CSC plans to use CRSA,NECSA and some other area fields for training and practice in order to accomodate their city or east-side players. So....either you join in CSC's quest or you develop your own. Assuming that CSC is gonna 'do their own thing', then what about CRSA/NECSA/LSC considering a merger (sorry for that dirty merger word). You would then have access to many fields/facilities for training. I am sure NECSA/CRSA players would not mind traveling once a week to Lexington for training/instruction and then train another day or two on their area fields. NECSA/CRSA need practice fields desparately. They are there...... waiting at LSC. I believe NECSA/CRSA would consider a 'merger' with LSC rather than just falling in line with CSC because there appears to be some degree of dislike for that 'famous Irmo attitude' and bleached hair. I don't believe there is that much dislike for LSC.
So......
NECSA/CRSA/LSC PLEASE consider the possibilities.
Cola. area could easily support two strong clubs in Cola., just as Greenville does with St. Giles and GFC.
I will stop now and wait for all of you to shoot down this proposal...yet again. Oh..and one last comment to Shibumi. I do believe that the more competititive you make Club soccer in Cola., the more successful high school teams you will have in your area. Imagine if you had a few players play on a premier team and that competition they face; and then they return in the spring to play high school ball. They will be dominate players. But if those players play average, satisfactory club ball against average state teams, they will possibly be average high school players. They will not have attained their maximum potential.
Prior Post follows:
May 05, 2003 09:14 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING?WARNING!! ---Excessive thoughts from a fervent, passionate soccer fan---
This is my absolute last, final post/comment on this topic!! (Yeah right!) Many great ideas and thoughts have been proposed on this merger/non-merger issue and I applaud all who are making the efforts to at least create the discussion that has never occurred to this extent in an open forum. There is obviously much interest/desire that something be done about the local soccer environment in Cola and surrounding area. And at least that interest is conveying the notion that we no longer want the status quo which produces basically the same results among the clubs year after year. As a staunch, fervent supporter of the type of central system in effect at CASL and other clubs, I believe that the one club approach will greatly provide much for a lot of players; whether they are Rec, Classic,Challenge, Premier. This system will not harm or adversely impact on the vibrant Rec leagues in the area. NECSA/CSC/LSC and others will still be involved in Rec programs and the development of players who may subsequently move to the more advanced system of play offered by the central club. Or, you can have a program like CASL, which encompasses all divisions of play, including Rec. Their club presents all levels of play to suit any player. And aren't we about the size of Raleigh?? This fall may be a good barometer for any future discussions of possible 'mergers' as CSC is stepping forward and out into the community with a new, energetic DOC, which proposes to produce some of the best teams in the state. If CSC succeeds this fall, do the other clubs NECSA/CRSA/LSC join with them in the Spring? Or do the better players at CRSA/NECSA begin their trek over to Ballentine to play with the best? Or do CRSA/NECSA stay put and just continue to produce reasonable, average teams? If CRSA/NECSA just stay put in their own little soccer worlds,(after the better players leave for CSC), then they will truly not be competitive with CSC, and possibly not competitive with Aiken and Charleston/Coastal teams. I do believe that the end result of a merger/one club venture would produce: 1) consolidation of soccer resources/coaches/training/instruction. 2)high level state/regional teams 3) higher level, more skilled players for their respective high school teams 4)A more unified, less fractional approach to soccer development in Cola area.
Or, do I have to create my own ONE MAN MERGER and take on all comers on the pitch 11 v.1? Of course by that time, maybe there will be a mercy rule in place and I will have to play 11 v. 1 for only a half!!!