Cola fan,
Maybe self interest is not the correct word, because they naturally have the right to develop their own objectives and pursuits. And you are exactly right that there are 4,5 clubs well serving their respective communities and striving to accomplish their respective objectives. Maybe that is all that is possible and desired in Cola. It is just my own personal desire to see their objectives be broader and grander, and to seek to field the strongest teams from the Cola area. But again, that is not one of the objectives in Cola., as it is at CESA & BridgeFA. It is all a function of what is desired by the total soccer community in Cola., and at this moment in time the DOCs and parents only desire satisfactory, convenient soccer. But there I go again with the merger talk.........I will never learn. I attach for your review the copy of the letter posted here last year regarding CSC's efforts to work with the other clubs to set and seek higher goals for the Cola. soccer area. At least one DOC was interested in a higher quality of soccer in Cola. Yet, I do not believe there was much progress:

<posted February 13, 2004> Attached you guys will notice a letter I sent out to all Club Presidents and DoC's in the Columbia Metro Area! I want you all to know that we (CSC) would love to make this happen...the offer and on the table and hopefully we can get the ball rolling "together" here in Columbia?

....Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen,
As you are well aware of by now St. Giles United Soccer Club and Greenville Futbol Club are well on their way to merging the two clubs into one super club. However, there are ways, that we in Columbia could unite our resources without taking away from anyone else. I feel at this time that Columbia Soccer Club has taken some steps to be just a slight bit ahead of the top clubs in Columbia and maybe in South Carolina compared to SGU and GFC. I'm not saying that Lexington, NECSA, Congaree and others are not, but I feel that CSC has taken some huge steps to provide the Columbia-Metro area kids an opportunity to play at the next level. Our coaching staff is maintains a minimum USSF C license or higher with most staff members carrying B and A or equivalent. We currently own our facilities with a 6 field complex, lights, paved parking, restroom and dining facilities. Also, we have received grant money to acquire two additional lite regulation fields along with two U10 fields as well. I know that all of you have great facilities as well! I know what great things you have to offer and I'm not disputing this, but if we shared resources: coaching, training, facilities, etc...the greater Columbia area would surely benefit? Please don't miss understand me. I'm not asking you to merge under CSC and drop your club affiliation. I'm asking you to consider our options. (What are those you may ask...?) I am proposing that we continue training the U11-14 at your various clubs for now. However, U15 and above would unite and play under one banner (which ever we decide) to compete at the regional and national level. While doing this our top coaches would be in charge of training/coaching the elite teams, while keeping their other club commitments as well. There are tons of options to work off this and this is only one idea! I'm sure you have your own and that is great, too!!! I think we all want to hear those! So, are we interested?
Sure, in the past we've all had a team here or there to challenge the upstate as well as a regional/national competitor. However, the time has come for us to put the KIDS first in our decision making. We can always work out logistics, money, training, etc...but we need to act on this to continue our development of the midlands youth. Together we can make this possible. I'm not doing this for personal gain, professional gain or any other alternative motives. Like all of you, I'm here for the kids and the advancement and development of our youth players to challenge and compete on a state, region and national level. As long as well keep this in mind and hire people with our same goals and vision... we will always keep our focus on the KIDS!

I have been in discussion with Kevin Demers from US Club Soccer and I'm very excited about our options to take our situation to the next level. He would like to meet with all of us. The sooner the better. He is working on a presentation and meeting for us to guide us (as a unbias professional) through this process. He has worked with Club soccer for numerous years and been in dealings with the likes of Concorde Fire, CASL, Charlotte and others. He, like us, is in it for the best interest of the kids. Attached is his email if you would like to contact him personally.

I look forward to hearing from all of you very soon. Please respond either way in regards to whether or not you would like to meet and your feelings regarding the meeting.

Respectfully Yours in the Game,

Eddie Crosby