On Goalkeeper Training:
Most teams practice 2-3 times a week. Most coaches that I've seen emphasize their practice sessions toward field player: strategy, individual techniques and conditioning (I say field player because there are 14-16 on the team and coaches feel that focusing limited practice on field players maximizes their productivity). So, let's face it, most soccer clubs fail at producing talented goalkeepers.

Specialized training is required to teach the aspects of goalkeeping, including catching, punching away, deflections, low and medium dives (both directions), forward dives and forward punches, tipping over the cross-bar, handling breakaways, punting and other forms of distribution, including rolling and slinging to open players (short & medium range and over players). Concentration and intensity, knowledge of the game, positioning, and reading developing plays. Ranging in, out, and around the penalty box. The Laws of the game as applied to Keepers, team and individual strategy. Game voice, decisions and commands. Leadership and defensive organization.

If you know of a club that offers this training (NO EXTRA CHARGE) please let me know! Thanks. (BTW Mt Pleasant does offer 1day/wk Keeper training, usually a limited number of sessions per season - no extra charge)