The cost of soccer has been discussed ad nauseum on this board, and I hate to hijack this thread into another discussion, but since we've started, I'll continue:

I'm pretty sure that Wayne Rooney's development path cost as much as Maria Sharipova's. The only question is who pays for it. I'm sure both of their parents made an initial outlay, but both were good enough to obtain sponsorship at an early age. Another good example is Freddy Adu, and I did not see any players like him in Lexington on Sunday.

For the parents on this board, we need to decide how much of this is a game for our kids, and how much of it is a "development path". I don't mind driving a beater car so that I can spend a bit more money on my kids' hobbies (and a bit more on my own, which ain't cheap either). But I'm not kidding myself into thinking this is anything more than a game.

PS. SoccerPOP, I'm thrilled to hear that the girls had a good turnout. I know several 1992 girls who went, but I haven't talked to them or their parents. I hope my home-girls make the team, but I'm even more interested in seeing SC become stronger on the girls side.