I agree with other messages about the Boy ODP tryouts being well organized (good job Mary/Van). I think that a one-day tryout is also tough on the coaches to make an equitable decision in a short time. Regarding costs, I agree that 1500 is a lot of money. That said, the costs for the Concord trip is $185. Considering what SCYSA is providing: travel, food, lodging, training, and the administrative support this is a reasonably priced weekend. From my family's perspective, this is probably a good way to see whether we should make the time commitment down the road to tryout for one of the state's regional clubs (CESA, CSC/NESCA, or BFA) rather than staying with the local club.

Regarding differences between the 91 and 93 boys tryout, I imagine it was somewhat interesting to have some U12 players (young 93s) that have only played 8v8 (unless they're playing up) compete against old 93s (playing U13) that have probably been playing 11v11 for their 3rd year. I wonder if that led to the tryout strategy.