SoccerPoP, you raise some good points. I guess at the end of the day, it boils down to what is in the best interest of the player. In my earlier post regarding players not make the ODP squad...the point I was trying to express (and not very well, I might add) is just that I personally know of a player who played on the A squad last year but only because he was given another opportunity to show his talent at a competitive event. The coach personally apologized to this kid because he just overlooked him at tryouts. This player is not a flashy player but a good, solid support player. To me, that kind of attribute will be better seen by a coach in a game situation...again, just my opinion. This player went on to make a difference for that squad. And now, that there is once again another coach, and no communication from the previous coach, this particular player has been left behind, again. I didn't mean to go off on that tagent but just wanted to better explain my earlier post. I am by no means a coach...just an observer. For the most part, I do trust their judgments.

In reference to your question...if the player from the other state is a much better player, then he makes the team. That's the way it works. I can see where it might be upsetting to someone if they were displaced by an out of state resident. I guess if it were proposed to make a change in that allowance, it would have to be changed across the board and players would not be allowed to be carded to teams outside their states. In that case, I think you aren't considering what is in the best interest of the player. Although, I am not certain that is what happened in the above refernced situation. This player is a 91 and said there were not many new "standout" players at tryouts for that age group.

Thanks for letting me ramble on...