Did anyone else know about this kind of stuff going on? [Confused] Did this pass?

Notes from the SRA

First, let me say that I am not a lobbyist in any way, and that appearing before any Legislative body is the right of each individual.

On Wednesday, March 1, 2006, I had the pleasure to address the South Carolina Senate Judiciary Sub-Committee (Chairman Senator Hutto, and members Senator Jackson, Senator Bryant, & Senator Knotts) concerning the “South Carolina Sports Officials and Coaches Protection Act”, a bill intended to make it unlawful to commit an assault and battery upon a sports official or coach during and after an athletic contest, and to provide penalties for violations.

For a first offense, when no weapon is used, the punishment will be up to one year in prison and/or a fine up to $5,000 will be imposed.

A repeat offense will result in up to five years in prison and/or a fine up to $7,500.

Obviously, when a weapon is used, stiffer punishments will be in order.

In my brief testimony, after introducing myself and giving a short history, I stated that there is a rising tide of violence in all sports, including soccer in all of its forms (USSF, High School, Indoor, etc), and all-too-often much of that violence is aimed at sports officials. I stated that I believed that the pending legislation might well provide a great deal of assistance to sports officials by its mere existence – that publicizing the possible penalties for assaulting soccer officials would have a prophylactic effect on individuals contemplating taking out their aggression against the officials at a match. A previous speaker had already stated that is difficult to find people to officiate at athletic contests, and I certainly agreed with that.

In addition, I noted the coincidence of the Sub-Committee meeting happening at 11:00 am of the same day that a USSF Referee Assault Hearing was scheduled at 7:00 pm.

Immediately after my statement, the Sub-Committee voted unanimously in favor, and sent the bill to the full Judiciary Committee. That meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 3:00 pm. I will be there for the full Committee meeting.

Fred Bieber

fbieber@usit.net
SC Sports Officials Protection Act