First of all, as I discussed at some point last year on this board, it is extremely difficult to run a back 3 in international soccer. There is just too much space to cover and too much 1v1 defending. Arena tried to play a back 3 for whatever reason. However, tonight against Panama, the US was back in their customary back 4. and even with 3 inexperienced backs, they looked much better. More organized at least

Secondly, how many players that played in that match will make the final roster and contribute significantly. I think Howard will be the back up GK, thus not seeing the field at the WC. all 3 backs will be there and Pope and Oneywu could possibly be the 2 starting CBs. Beasley will probably start. Eddie Lewis will most likely make the final roster, but contribute how much remains to be seen. There has been talk of moving him to a left back, buy why not play him at LB in a 4 back system in CR? Not really sure. Maestroeni has a chance to make the squad, but probably will be in a reserve role, coming on when we have a lead. Convey has a shot, but by no means has a spot locked. Just my thoughts on that.

Plus CR brought their A team. Wanchope has been a quality forward in CONCACAF for many years. As Lurker said, Arena was more concerned about the performance of certain players than he was at winning the game. By the way, the US is now 0-6-1 in CR, so its not a game that they normally win.

Lets talk about how the USA just won the group. How about that?