Here is an interesting question, at least to me in terms of the recruiting process.

Unlike football or basketball where if your kid is good enough to be recruited to play at Clemson, USC, Furman, Wofford.......they basically get a full ride. In soccer however scholarship money gets pooled in with other sources of scholarships to put together a package.

So how as a parent are you supposed to know if the Furman coach even knows you exist, let alone have interest. And if there is interest......what kind of package can be put together for your son or daughter? And when is it appropriate to be doing this?

I would hesistate to encourage my child to chase a Duke or a Wake Forest or a Furman education/soccer career unless there was a reasonable probability of a good package.

Advice I've heard in the past is the best way to do this is pick the school you want to go to and flood that coach with interest. Well, if that school is Furman and the package is insufficient.....as a parent have I done my kid a disservice by encouraging them to chase something that wasn't realistic?

Point to this is.......given the inadequate amount of scholarships available for soccer.....my guess is that coaches at schools like Furman need to be a lot more proactive with potential recruits than would the coach as Clemson or USC.