Random thoughts about what has been discussed in this post.
1. I tend to agree that it is easier for female athletes to get athletic scholarships. I have know girls that rtan 25 minute 5k's in high school that got money to run in college. Just in ase you didn't know, 25 minutes is not very good.
2. Maybe things aren't equal between the sexes but title IX has made a difference. See above. Add to that the fact that many male athletes have lost the opportunity to play in college because their teams have been dropped (I am in the category. My school dropped men's soccer after my freshman year to comply with title IX. So if I seem bitter, get over it. Schools such as UCLA have even dropped men's sports or the team has had to find a way to fund themselves.
3. I have seen females not keep the grades they needed for academic scholarships yet the continued to get the scholarship so they wouldn't change their major. Anything to do with this post? Maybe not, but yes I am bitter because I put myself through school since I did not want to transfer (remember dropped soccer program).
4. You don't have to look at just middle school basketball to see the differences between girls and boys. When downtown soccer existed, the boys teams (around U15-16) would go to Clemson and scrimmage the girls. The players I knew said that it was not much of a challenge for them (the boys that is). My 10 year old son has made comments about how slow even the U11-12 developmental girls game is. I used to be a semi-regular at the Atlanta Beat games. Maybe went down for 5 or so a year. It was a chance to see soccer and maybe do some stuff in Atlanta but overall it was very mediocre. And to think people throughout the world say the MLS is not very good. Finally, along these lines, I watched about 5 minutes of the first WNBA game before I fell asleep.
5. Did I read the post wrong that said Claudio Reyna is not an inferior athlete to Raymond Felton? I guess it is all how you define athlete. All I know is that if I was going to play a pickup game in ANY sport (minus soccer) I would choose Raymond over Claudio any day of the week. It wouldn't matter if I even knew the object of the game, if it had something to do with sports and athletics Claudio would even be way down on my list of soccer players to choose. Before anyone questions how much I know about Claudio, I have followed his career since he graduated HS. Before he started at UVA, he was on team that toured the country. When the team visited Greenville, my parents hosted Claudio and another player.