Chico,

Don't kid yourself.....thanks for clearly insulting me and others with your namecalling. Merry Christmas indeed. You should be ashamed of yourself.

This thread started out talking about the states best players, migrated to where they were going to school and who was recruiting them, then on to why Furman allegedly wasn't recruiting the states best U18 players, then on to costs, the recruiting process and matching up players and schools. In a pretty good post Purple and Yellow introduced the topic of gender inequity. I responded and all cain broke loose.

Not sure that this is a topic that will ever be debated on an internet forum rationally or unemotionally. Smug namecalling only ratchets up the emotions.....

My 7th grade son just got done studying John Locke (amongst others) and I helped him get ready for the test he had a few days before break. It was interesting...the only role of government, Locke believed, was to ensure that the natural rights of man (and woman) were protected.

Our debate wasn't about college athletics in general, or funding in particular. Its about soccer, and college scholarships. Period. And the facts.....are that girls have appreciably more opportunity than boys to get college scholarships. And the reason for this.....is an
attempt on the part of society to engineer a solution, a remedy as it were, for past wrongs.

If fairness is the question, is this fair?

Football is the love of America. We can cry and complain about their 3rd stringers on full rides while our starters sit there with a 1/4 scholarship.....but given the popularity of soccer in America we're lucky we get what we get. USC pulls......85,000 to a football game? How many for a soccer game?

Fairness can't be had in an apples and oranges world. If my daughter goes to Harvard and I spend 40K on her for school and my son goes to York Tech and I spend 1K per year on him and both are happy and both are doing what they wanted to do......have I been a fair parent?

The fact that America spends a fortune on football shouldn't be the justfication for unfairly treating male soccer players.

The fact that woman HAVE been artifically limited over the last 100 years.....cannot be undone by giving out 3-4 additional soccer scholarships per year.

We cannot compare football and soccer. We can only compare soccer to soccer.