It was a very competitive game last night in Socastee. We had a 2 and half hour lightning delay so both teams were affected. It was raining at the start but quit midway through the first half. Socastee had a couple of great scoring opportunities in the first half but great goalie play (and luck) was with us. Toward the end of the half, we had a corner kick opportunity but it was challenged by a line judge calling offsides. Since it was on a throw in, it was overruled which resulted in BC's goal. With a wet field there was a lot of contact not called, which resulted in some of the yellow cards being called (for verbal).
To Socastee's credit, it didn't result into players almost fighting or anything like that. It explains why the coaches reacted the way did in the PK call (with 16 minutes left in the game BC up 1-0). I'm not an expert but it was an unusual call that led to the PK. The winning goal was a great play by the Socastee kid just under 2 minutes.
I wasn't sure what to expect from the players and fans but it was a great atmosphere under adverse conditions. It was a hard fought game and the Socastee forwards are extremely quick and talented. BC played them well but you could tell we were wearing down and hanging on at the end. It's a shame the momentum swung on a controversial call (It looked like to me that a player took out our goalie on that play from behind) I'll have to see a video because no one in the BC stands could figure out what the call was. I have watched many soccer games the past 5 years and it seems like the refs are reluctant to call anything in the box that results in a PK, which is why we question why this one was called. Hats off to Socastee for pulling out the win. Congrats to our young team for battling and competing in a tough, challenging schedule.